Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

Mono Black

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
timmyhill

Mono Black Empty
PostSubject: Mono Black   Mono Black Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm

Here's the newest version of my Mono black deck. Any sugguestions?

2x grim harvest
3x call to the netherworld
4x blightspeaker
4x dash hopes
4x festercreep
4x nameless inversion
4x phyrexian rager
4x sangrophage
4x tendrils or corruption
4x terror
4x scarscale ritual

19x swamps
Back to top Go down
http://www.inventivewoodworks.com
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

Mono Black Empty
PostSubject: your deck   Mono Black Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi timmy just my thoughts on this deckllist.
Generally it seems quite sound the only creature i have doubts about is the sangrophage yes it is a3/3 and thats not to be sniffed at but costing 2 life 2 get it into play every turn can self destructive ( yeah i know you have tendrils in and that can gain u lots of life if it doesn't get countered and your opponent has a creature to target it on . i would make the following changes :-
- 4 sangrophage + 4 chilling shade ( yes it need snowlands 2 pump it (see me online and i'll give you some Very Happy ) but its evasive ( flying) and can be pumped as high as you like with lands in play.also i would play morsel theft it will gain you life and hurt your opponent i also play recover in preference to grim harvest ( just a personal choice i tend to forget to keep the necessary mana open for grim harvest and so loose it Smile so it's better for me Very Happy ) it gets you a creature back and draws you a card Smile. if you want to play morsel theft for its prowl cost i would run a couple of prickly boggarts (the fear gets them through against most non black decks ). just my thoughts feel free to argue that i don't know what i'm talking about ( i probably don't know that much i've not been playing that long) but thats my two penneth . Very Happy
Regards
Harry

Last edited by wildman4420 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

Mono Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mono Black   Mono Black Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 1:46 pm

do you like recover over call to the netherworld? netherworld is much easier on mana but that extra card from recover might also be good, the deck is modeled after the suicde black decks that where running around a few years ago, but they used phryxian negators and other shiny rares.

they deck used to have more creatures in it... but now i think its shiffted to having a bit too much removel in it. i have an ext version of the deck that rocks but its allowed to use bonesplitter. which makes the sangrophage better when it can doing 5 damge second turn compared to the 2 i have to take.

i'm not afraid to get down on life in the game so long as i can get the win, but the deck the way it is seems to stall out when my oppent gets down to about 5 life... maybe its too slow so my oppenants are having too much time to set up. if only i could play dark rituals and hypnotic spectors Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.inventivewoodworks.com
Mr Moto
Wizard

Mono Black Empty
PostSubject: MBC Standard   Mono Black Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi guys.
Looking at the decklist (without havent tried it combat) I would say that it looks a bit creature-light. It looks like it would stall out against red deck wins which can remove most of your guys. I would cut down on the removal, up the creaturecount to minimum 24 (now 16), and focus on aggroguys - pricklyboggart as suggested, festering goblin, the chilling shade as said earlier...
I'm not sure a standard MBC is possible in PDC, but its always fun trying Smile
Back to top Go down
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

Mono Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mono Black   Mono Black Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:16 pm

In response to your query regarding any preference recover v call of the netherworld in a deck as light in creatures as this ( i agree with mrmoto upping the creature count would help ) anything that gets you back a creature from your graveyard is vital if it draws you a card as well its a bonus Very Happy i'd play them both and c how well they work out for you, you also need creatures for scarscale ritual to work ( i play it in my red/black aggro deck with a somewhat higher creature count than this and sometimes i struggle to find targets for it,but its good when played on the last phase of keldon marauders or giant baiting before they leave play Smile and then recover the marauders for further play Very Happy mana permitting Smile. i agree with your comments about bonesplitter in ext that would make the damage u take to play the sangrophage almost worthwhile ( and the low casting cost is attractive Smile ). i think you should revise how much removal you have and which cards you use for it . As i see it you have the following options :-
1 terror cc 1b +1 destroys any nonblack creature no regeneration
2 nameless inversion cc 1b +1 +3/-3 can destroy black creatures
3 tendrils of corruption cc 1b +3 damage = number of swamps yuo control + you gain life
4 strangling soot cc 1b +2 destroy creature with 3 or less toughness (can be played from graveyard for 1r +5 ( double use but needs red to be splashed )
5 eyeblights ending cc 1b +2 destroy target non elf creature
6 morsel theft cc 2b +2 / 1b+1 with prowl deals 3 damage to target player and you gain 3 life
7 chill to the bone cc 1b +3 destroy target non snow creature.

There may be other (these are just the ones that spring to my mind in standard ( no doubt some of our more knowledgeable clanmates will add to this list Very Happy )

As i see it the most efficent ones are terror and nameless inversion ( at least against most decks and in the early game the low casting costs help you ) then if you have creatures with evasion (i'm thinking prickly boggarts fear here) the prowl cost of morsel theft is appealing and life gain is great to. Then we come to the best of the later game plays (you need the swamps to make it ultra effective Very Happy ) tendrils of corruption big hitting and life gain to ( great against those aurochs baloths etc ) the 2 other cards eyeblights ending and chill to the bone are both useful against the right matchups . So i would play 3 each of terror nameless inversion and tendrils move 3 festercreep to the sb for use against saps storm and elf token decks and put in 3 pricky boggrts and 3 morsel theft and c how that plays Very Happy I must say having been on the recieving end dash hope is a very good card for mono black which generally doesn't have any counters to either creatures or spells I would reduce the scarscale ritual by 1 or 2 ( if you have enough targets for it u could up it and reduce ur removal) and put in a couple of chilling shades.

Once again will other clanmates please comment i'm probably screwing up a perfectly viable deck with my suggestions so lets please help out here Very Happy I only wish i had the confidence to post my deck list here and leave it open to comment like Timmy has done Very Happy

Well once again those are my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mono Black Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mono Black   Mono Black Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mono Black
Page 1 of 1