Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

Pauper Draft Tournament

Go down 
+4
SardofKC
JMason
wildman4420
Jimmus
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

Pauper Draft Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Pauper Draft Tournament 62123 Pauper Draft Tournament 852273 Pauper Draft Tournament 818533 Pauper Draft Tournament 844319 Pauper Draft Tournament 68789

A Pauper draft tournament!! How will we get sealed boosters of Pauper only cards?

The magic is in the milkyway as they say or @ this URL (which JMason previously posted and Finwe dug out today): http://www.metacortex.hu/~fable/

How it works?
Using this app you can set up a draft with between 2-10 players. You simply select the boosters/sets that you wish to include in the draft e.g 2 x M10 and 1 x Zen.

Pauper Draft Tournament Draft1

Each player is then provided with a URL to their first opened booster of the draft.

Pauper Draft Tournament Draft2

This is followed by rounds of card selection e.g. You select a card then the cards are passed to the next player who selects a card and so on until all three boosters have been used.

Pauper Draft Tournament Draft3

You are then presented with a list of cards which make up your draft card pool (yes it's bugged and states that this is your 'sideboard' Smile ). This URL would be posted on this forum or in 'CS' chat post-draft just for validity reasons.

Pauper Draft Tournament Draft4

Deck building
You would then construct a 40 card deck from your collection using only cards on your draft card pool list. If you were missing any cards you could trade or buy until you owned all cards in the pool.

In drafting everything is timed but due to the nature of pauper drafting (your not actually opening physical boosters so there is a need to trade/by any required cards not in your collection) I would suggest a good 30-60 minutes 'Card Gathering' time followed by the usual 'Deck Building' time e.g 20-30 mins.

Tournament Structure
Once everyone's decks were ready to rock 'n' roll we would then organise a standard tourney event such as the PDC events held in the 'Anything Goes' room, similar to the old CS Sunday Tourneys. Depending on numbers/time we could do a straight knockout e.g 4-2-1 or a more complex approach similar to the current CS leagues (points each game won, most points wins after X matches).

Costs
This will depend on how many cards from your chosen pool that are absent from your collection, we're talking pauper here so most likely you could either trade/buy required cards for a few pence/cents, most cards will probably be obtainable from other clan members (even if just loaned - remember this is sealed draft so your not likely to be playing more than 1 or 2 of any card, you wont be searching for full play sets).

Entry fee would either be free or maybe, donations towards prize fund accepted.

Prizes
Would consist of donations and possibly entry fees if this was made mandatory.

Event Time
Card selection would take about 20-30 mins.
Card gathering would take 30-60 mins (probably reduce this to 30 mins max?)
Deck Building 20-30 mins
Matches would be timed @ 30 mins for a 2/3 match (there won't be long control of life gain type games so 30 mins would be plenty?)

If we played a straight knockout e.g
- 4 players would consist of only two rounds (4-2-1), tourney time would be 2.5 hours (could easily reduce this if card selection, gathering and deck building times were reduced).
- 8 players (8-4-2-1) straight knockout tourney time would be 3 hours.

Let me know what you guys think.

Life story (Skip if you're feeling sleepy at this point)
I used to love entering non-pauper drafts but since my love for pauper has overshadowed the non-pauper world over the past few years I have no interest of going back over to the dark side. I am really excited about the prospect of drafting in Pauper. A completely different set of skills are required (which i lack lol) and the best thing is that EVERY deck will be different, you won't face storm 4 times in a row followed by MBC. Agreed the quality of the games may not match that of a Classic format pauper match but hey its a good way of improving your deck building skills and the event will cost next to nothing to enter.

If anyone is interested in this please reply to this thread.

Note: Just for testing purposes I want to try and get a test tourney going this weekend, Saturday afternoon/evening, if you are interested in the test tourney this Saturday (15-01-10) then msg me in game @ jimmus.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by Jimmus on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jimeyre.info
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Sounds like fun Jimmus i'll do my best to be around in time to play Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 am

Jimmus, can you clarify what timezone your afternoon is in please. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SardofKC
Young Wizard
SardofKC

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm in!!!
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 4:00 pm

hehe, sorry JM. GMT.

Maybe we will get some interest in the near future Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 6:04 am

SardofKC wrote:
I'm in!!!

Sorry didn't see your post, thanks Sard Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:12 pm

OK lets try and set some goals here.

Once we have a minimum of 8 players interested (a reply to this thread of PM in game) then we will arrange a date and time for a practice event, sound good? If you think 6 would be enough let me know!

So far (to my knowledge) we have the following players interested in participating:
jimmus
JMason
Wildman4420
SardofKC
mattyb1874
chrismh77
NecroSavant543
andymc1

Counter:
8/8

Last edited by Jimmus on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Yes, I'm in. Since it looks like this is going to happen I moved this to the Tournaments section.
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 3:23 pm

JMason wrote:
Yes, I'm in. Since it looks like this is going to happen I moved this to the Tournaments section.

Thanks dude, I thought you were up for it but wasn't sure.

Thanks for confirming, just need a couple more but we have all the time in the world.

Might be able to coincide the draft with the release week of Worldwake @ 5th Feb 2010!

Spoiler info: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/?page_id=3888
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 5:42 am

bump
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

Cheers dude. Just three more players and we are good to go. Might be a good way for people to give some of the new WW cards a bash Smile

Back to top Go down
ChrisMH77
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Sounds interesting. I would like to play if it happens Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks Chris.

Count updated...cheers JM Smile
Back to top Go down
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm game if I'm around.
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Nice one Necro. 7 down, 1 to go Smile
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 am

I'm up for this if we can agree a time to meet.
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 pm

Excellent, cheers Andy.

BTW there is not a limit of 8 players, so if you are not on the list but would like to participate then sign up here Smile

OK playtime, literally.

What day/date/time is best for you guys?

For me weekends are best, the first tourney is going to be of trial and error so will be hand if we don't have strict time consttraints which we would have on week nights what with work etc.

If we are to stick with weekends then which one is best for you guys?

Sat 20 March
Sun 21 March
Sat 27 March
Sun 28 March
Sat 3 April
Sun 4 April
Sat 10 April
Sun 11 April
Sat 17 April
Sun 18 April
Sat 24 April
Sun 25 April
Sat 01 May
Sun 02 May
Sat 8 May
Sun 9 May

If you could all just post a reply with 2-3 preferred dates then hopefully we can find a date that everyone is available.

If anyone has a more efficient way of doing this then please don't hesitate to voice your opinion.

Thanks
Jim
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm

I could probably do any weekend, and evenings after 7pm gmt would be preferable to daytime.
Back to top Go down
ChrisMH77
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:06 pm

I work every other weekend. I'm off 3/27 & 28, the next weekend I am off then is 4/10 & 11, any of those days would be fine for me, just let me know what time to be on.
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:03 am

Any weekend is good for me. Though i could only really do daytime, so latest for me to start it would be around 4pm gmt.
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
ChrisMH77
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Are we still going to do this draft sometime?
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:59 am

Chris, this is Jimmus' baby, and he has been missing in action since mid-May. I haven't seen mattyb1874 for as long as I remember, and Andymc1 only logs on during the UK daytime.
I don't see that this event can progress unless we get Jimmus back full time. If you'd like to be the coordinator for another draft event then just start a new thread in this forum and start taking names. I for one will sign up. You should probably start asking for volunteers among the clan who are online when you are.

This is actually a perfect example of how hard it is to do tournaments. The forum gets a low number of visitors. Players find they don't have free time. We're in many time zones.
Back to top Go down
ChrisMH77
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 pm

The tool to set up the draft seems easy enough to set up. If someone was willing to hook me up with the DCI Tournament tool and teach me how to use it I would definitely be willing to run Drafts at least once a month if there is still enough interest.
Back to top Go down
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 2:52 am

These need to continue, on a schedule! I'm volunteering my collection for loan for these, so there's no excuse for anyone to not play some drafts. Let's get some things going on here.
Back to top Go down
SardofKC
Young Wizard
SardofKC

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 8:25 am

NecroSavant543 wrote:
These need to continue, on a schedule! I'm volunteering my collection for loan for these, so there's no excuse for anyone to not play some drafts. Let's get some things going on here.

I agree! I enjoyed the one I did with Chris, et all! Well I would have preferred a block I know but still it was fun.
Back to top Go down
Commotio
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I have only been reading this thread and didnt post yet because i had the exact excuse mentioned above Smile I would love to do pauper drafts but im new to Magic online so my collection is way too small to actually use the cards i would virtualy draft, im having a hard time setting up an extended deck as it is atm (got a classic and std one). If i would get some loan-cards for it iŽd be in!
Back to top Go down
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 pm

I lent out cards to half of the people in the last draft we did, but most of the cards are super cheap. Like .02 tix, so it's not a big deal.

Hopefully can get these rolling regularly.
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 3:05 pm

ChrisMH77 wrote:
The tool to set up the draft seems easy enough to set up. If someone was willing to hook me up with the DCI Tournament tool and teach me how to use it I would definitely be willing to run Drafts at least once a month if there is still enough interest.

Count me in ChrisMH77.

I'd really like to play a draft over the christmas holiday period Smile
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 3:25 pm

If anyone is interested in trying out an 'Winston Draft' which is a 1 vs 1 draft format then let me know as I am keen to give it a try.

Details can be found here

This drafting tool supports the Winston Draft format.

Message me in game or drop me an email @ jime3721@gmail.com if you are up for giving this a crack Smile
Back to top Go down
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 2:15 am

I'm always game. Just PM me on MTGO, and I'll find some time to do a draft. I wouldn't mind do some 8 player draft flights in the clan either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pauper Draft Tournament   Pauper Draft Tournament Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pauper Draft Tournament
Page 1 of 1