Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

Deck Naming

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Belphegor
Young Wizard

Deck Naming Empty
PostSubject: Deck Naming   Deck Naming Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 5:50 pm

So i ran across a decent looking deck for standard Pauper by browsing the gatherling, and was thinking of purchesing the cards. How many cards would i have to change from this deck to be able to rename it ... the name really sucks, people have no imagination.
Back to top Go down
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

Deck Naming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deck Naming   Deck Naming Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:02 am

Zero. You can call the deck whatever you want. There's no rules here!

Just try not to lable it anything wildly profane or inapropriate. We are supposed to edit decks when that happens.
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

Deck Naming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deck Naming   Deck Naming Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:23 am

Deck naming is a real grey area, you'll always find disagreement. On PDCMagic especially there are many 'systematic namers' who always want deck names to tell you what the deck has in it. At the other end of the scale there are people who want deck names to be unique and interesting.

To answer your question, it depends on a number of things. If the deck has a core of cards that define it then changing some unimportant support cards doesn't make it a different deck. Pauper Storm is always going to have Empty the Warrens and/or Grapeshot, and any deck that hopes to win from those cards is always going to be named storm regardless of what other cards are included. A classic example is the deck FIsh. Fish is any blue based deck with cheap creatures and counter magic that is constructed with answers for the decks that the builder expects to see that day (i.e. the metagame). Two Fish decks could look entirely different from each other and share no cards at all. On the other hand it can be hard to tell Goblins!, Red Deck Wins and Sligh apart.

So you can call your deck anything at all, it's just polite to give credit to the original creator if your deck isn't really very different.
Back to top Go down
Belphegor
Young Wizard

Deck Naming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deck Naming   Deck Naming Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 pm

ok ty that pretty much answers what i wanted to know which was basically copyright infringement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deck Naming Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deck Naming   Deck Naming Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deck Naming
Page 1 of 1