Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

new tournies

Go down 
+2
Mooncalf
timmyhill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 8:09 pm

I think maybe we should host our own tournies once a week, there doenst seem to be much happening on wensday nights for the PDC. So we could grab that night. I"ve been playing in a lot of them and the same prob keeps coming up they take so long to finish, up to an hour per round for 4 rounds then theres the playoffs.

I suggest

- 3 rounds 15-20 mins each
- play off between the top 4

the prizes I'm not sure about... maybe a playset of something foiled ? Is the cheapest I can think of...
4 foiled mulldrifters only cost about $1.60 So 6 bucks or so would be enough for the top 3 to get prizes.

I've also really been thinking about a way to encourge new deck development. The pdc events are over ran by the same decks or decks that are very simular to each other. So maybe over a 8 week season or something like that the player who makes the top 4 each week with a deck that only uses 50% or less of the same cards as the week before would get a playset of shadowmoor commons or something like that.

I know pauper is all about playing magic for less money and some one would have to pay for the prizes but I think it would really help us grow. On a side note, if we as a clan played in the free tournies we could in therory win enough to pay for what we want to do.

This could public event or maybe something that is only for clan memembers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.inventivewoodworks.com
Mooncalf
Master Sorcerer
Mooncalf

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 10:31 am

Sounds good. If the event is in the evening i cant attend though. Because then its morning in europe.

Personally I dont like foils, and would rather have regular versions, but as you say prizes arent that important.

How does organizing a tourny work anyway? is there someone who does all the paperwork ? Like keeping scores and telling whom will play against whom ?

Never played free tourny so i have no idea Smile
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeSat Jun 21, 2008 11:30 am

we just have to decide on a host who keeps everyone in line, some people have software that makes the pairs but pen and paper always work. We would just annouce a time, and in a pravite chat box in MTGO people get told who they are playing and so forth.

we could something on the weekends, and the prizes can be whatever but usually the flashier the prizes the more people get intrested.
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Having one of our members hosting at least one pdc event is definatly somthing we should aim for i think. If anyone's willing to host an event and they have a sugguestion on the rules and format please say so and we can get our heads together to make it so. I've been planning on hosting a multiplayer pdc tourny on wednesdays once i start getting some more free time, though this isn't looking likely in the near future. Anyone considering hosting an event should read this post by evu on using the dci reporter on the gleemax forums.
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
ESanders2008
Apprentice Wizard

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: just a thought   new tournies Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:58 pm

i like the idea of rushing tourneys (where we all participate and split the prize)
also, i have run decent tourneys before under my old mtgo username, and it went pretty well

Very Happy

-Eddy
Back to top Go down
Mr Moto
Wizard

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

The idea of a smaller clan tourney is good, and one thing strikes me as important: For some of us the usual times for the tourneys are prohibitive, most of them being in EST-time. It would be nice to have them in GMT time, but of course that depends on what timeslots most of our clan is in.

Another idea could be to have a tourney running over a longer time. 1 or 2 games a week, and the results posted in the forums for mutual enjoyment Smile
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 6:33 am

Just to pick up on the prize support issue...

I spoke to heath from mtgotraders about possible support for another PDC tourny a few weeks ago and he didn't seem very receptive to working with another clan because, in his words, he's had a lot of bad experience working with clans in the past. So if we were to look to him for prize support the host would have to contact him and would probably be in with a better chance of getting the sponsorship if no clan was mentioned and run the tournament indepentantly. There are other sites that may be willing to provide support (ex. Cardhoarder, ABU games) so we do have a few options.
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 pm

So when are we going to get started?

I like the idea of an in clan league or something that runs for awhile, matches can be posted here in the fourm and can deal with the prizes later.

I'm up for running things, keeping track of whos playing and stats. Any suggestions on which format everyone wants? Once thats decided i'll put a threat up where everyone in the clan will be paired up. This might help thin out any inactive people we might have too.
Back to top Go down
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 12:09 am

It sounds good Timmy Very Happy , as far as the format goes ( thats obviously open to debate Smile ) but i would suggest std ( as its probably the lowest common denominator hopefully most clan members will have cards necessary to build decks in this format obviously futext and classic would require a larger card pool and that may disadvantage some of our newer members who might not have the cards required to build decks for those formats Crying or Very sad ) .Another problem may be ( but we can't know for certain at the moment) that we have members from different time zones which could make some pairings difficult Crying or Very sad .But i think we should at least try and as you say if the league run over a long period we may be able to get even some of these difficult matchs played. And running such a league will give us the experience of organising and running events which will be useful. Very Happy In any case i'll donate 16 tix to the prize fund I suggest a split of 8 4 2 2 for the top 4 league places ?. (comments please)
Any clanmembers input into Timmys suggestion regarding a league will be much appreciated.
Regards
Harry

Last edited by wildman4420 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mooncalf
Master Sorcerer
Mooncalf

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:28 am

A league sounds great, but wouldnt we have problems with decks. I mean, you can only use 1 deck for the entire league right? Otherwise it could go like this: "oh i have to play Wildman, he plays faerie, lets add some hurly-burly". So we would need some way of making sure the decks everyone is playing are the same throughout the league. We could make people submit them somewhere for all to see, but if i can look through my oppo's deck in detail in advance, that would take away the element of surprise of at least some cards.

Another option is to let people pick a different deck for each match.

Just brainstorming a little..
Back to top Go down
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 4:44 am

In response to mooncalf ( and like everyhting else in this thread its all up in the air at the moment Very Happy ) i personally have no problem with people playing different decks in each match or indeed evolving 1 deck throughout the league "season" so yeah maybe you would decide that i was playing faeries and tailor your deck accordingly but it doesn't mean i will be playing faeries in my match with you Smile (it also helps our less experienced players change their deck until they find something they like to play Smile ) So what do you other clan members think of the idea ? lets have some feedback here Very Happy .
Regards
Harry
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 6:16 am

So, people want to run a league...

This is interesting as i ran a league for over a year in my last clan. It takes a fair bit of work to keep numbers up and keeping records in order. For those reasons i never planned to run a league in this clan thinking that a one day per week event would but much less personal-time invasive. If you guys really want to try a league then i ain't going to try and stand in your way, and i wish you the best of luck.

I'm not sure how you plan to run things but I can offer sugguestions based on how we ran things, sugguestions based on ideas which have worked in the past.

While I can't express how much i appreciate Wildman's contributions so far to our members i think it is unfair for him to provide full prize support. Instead we could either try to get sponsorship, or have an entry fee. In the leagues that i ran we all used to pay 1 event ticket to enter, then all the collected tix were paid out at the end.

What we will find once the first league draws to a close is that a lot of the people who enter, won't have played many of their games. This can make it difficult for people to find people to play if they only need a couple of games, assuming that there is a limit on the number of times each person can play each other. So it's an ongoing aim to find ways of encouraging people to keep playing, even if they arnt doing so well. (I have sugguestions on this)

Regarding the deck issue - This was somthing that came up from time to time during our leagues in the past, the decision to allow people the change their decks as much as they liked always stuck though.

Firstly, there is no way to scrutinise every card someone plays, for players to be checking their opponent's decklist on the forum while playing a league game just seems unreasonable, at best. In my opinion there are far too many holes and opportunities for rule bending. Also, being able to evolve your deck throughout the league is, for me, one of the most enjoyable aspects. As i mentioned before it's always a struggle to get people to keep playing if they're losing game after game, if they arnt allowed to make changes to their deck then they are stuck using the same deck throughout the league, condemned to defeat after defeat.

Do you have any plans on how the league games are going to be recorded? (i have sugguestions if needed)
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:08 pm

I was in a local league once, for vintage... try to keep up with thoses decklist. But how we did that was to have everyone play each other at least once. As far trying to get people together to play we could make satudays or sundays game days for that week. Everyone would get

- 2 matchs or play 2 different people
- matchs would have to be played with in 2 weeks of pairs being made.
(say the matchs are made on a sunday, you would have all of the following week plus the next week to meet up with your opponent. I dont think the matchs would need to be played in order of annoucing. After the 2 weeks are up who ever is responsible for the games not getting played would forfit unless theres a good reason which would prolly be voted on by clan members.

- the decks could be whatever, standard seems like its going to be the easiest to do.

- points will appointed by games won vs games lost
(if you played and won a match 2-0 your points would be( 2,0 )
(if you played and lost a match 1-2 your points would be (1,2 )

and so on for the whole season and at the end the points would just be added up like so (3, 2)
i'll post a mock of how i think things will go.

as far as the prizes go I agree with andy that wildman shouldnt have to put all in for the prizes. so I'm willing to match whatever he puts in.
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:53 pm

The posting of this for acual league play could get really long so i would post each week in its own thread in a league room.

Week 1 July 6
User Name Match 1 Match 2
wildman4420 Mr Moto Angali
nofork ESanders2008 Mr Moto
Magnumpous Mad_99Maddog4000012
loimprevisto dreamcast madt_99
timmyhill tstauffer char15
hwtcharger GatorG Tstauffer
Riverrat86404 jack.mcentee Esanders2008
Char15 Angali Timmyhill
Maddog4000012 Mooncalf magnumpous

You have 2 weeks to play any matches, they expire on July 20 is not played

Matchs are best 2/3 games and should be played with decks from standard.
Please report timmyhill with results each player should report.

Standings after week 1
(Points, the first number decides your place, you want it as high as can be, the second number is for tie breakers you want it as low as can be.)
4,0 wildman4420
4,0 nofork
4,1 magnumopus
4,1 loimprevisto
3,3 timmyhill
3,3 hwtcharger
3,3 riverrat86404
3,3 Char15
3,3 maddog4000012
3,2 Mooncalf
3,2 Angali
2,3 jack.mcentee
2,3 GatorG
1,4 tstauffer
1,4 Dreamcast
0,4 madt_99
0,4 ESanders2008
0,4 Mr Moto

Week 2 July 13
User Name Match 1 Match 2
wildman4420 Mr Moto Angali
nofork ESanders2008 Mr Moto
Magnumpous Mad_99Maddog4000012
loimprevisto dreamcast madt_99
timmyhill tstauffer char15
hwtcharger GatorG Tstauffer
Riverrat86404 jack.mcentee Esanders2008
Char15 Angali Timmyhill
Maddog4000012 Mooncalf magnumpous

You have 2 weeks to play any matches, they expire on July 27 is not played

Matchs are best 2/3 games and should be played with decks from standard.
Please report timmyhill with results each player should report

Last edited by timmyhill on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:07 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 5:54 pm

ok so i need to work on my table spacing oh and sry for post 3 times in a row... its just a sample suggestions are welcome
Back to top Go down
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Looks good to me Timmy Very Happy .If you're online when Andy is have a chat with him i'm sure he has some useful advice and will also hi light some of the pitfalls to. Smile but as i said it looks like a viable way of running a league that i hope our clan members will find interesting and fun bounce . Thanks for taking this on.
Regards
Harry
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 5:44 am

Yeah, that seems like something that coulld be done.

There are a couple of issues that might be a problem with that method though. Firstly, not everyone in the clan will be willing to take part in the league. In fact, i'd say that at least half of our members will be too inactive to be able to meet at specified times. There's also the issue of timeszones, a time that is convienient for someone on PST will be way past my bedtime, on GMT.

The other problem i see is the time it'll take to complete a league with only 1 game being played per week. If everyone was sceduled to play each other just once and there were only 20 people in the clan (there will be a lot more than that by the time we're ready to start) that would take 10 weeks. This could also be a problem for new members wanting to get involved in the clan league, as they would have a long wait before they were able to join a new league.

Aside from those issues it seems ok and i would be all up for a slower running league if it were not for those problems. Like i said before though this is your thing, so my points here are only advice.

Another option is to allow people to choose their own opponents but set the number of times a pair can play, like twice. That way people can log in any time they like and ask in the clan room if anyone would like to play a league game. If they havn't played twice yet then they can play. This is much more flexible and allows someone who can only get online for a few hours a week to keep up with the pace of the league.

Here's the info on how our leagues ran in the past. click

Here are our league tables. The one at the bottom is the first league we did going up to the most recent at the top. click

Again this is your league timmy so you run things your way. If you think that things will run fine as you sugguested then run it that way, and in time we'll be able to iron out the problems as the come up. We organised quite a few leagues (more than is listed above) and some of them fell through completely. The way we ran them evolved over time and, in the end, we had somthing that worked well.

Whatever you decide good luck and put my name on the list cheers
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 4:20 pm

that was very helpful andy i like the way that works... its kind of how they do it on mtgo. i just need a hint at how many games/weeks people would like it to run for. i hope to start this sunday
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new tournies Empty
PostSubject: Re: new tournies   new tournies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new tournies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Common Sense :: The Clan Hall :: The Oubliette :: Ideas/Suggestions-
Jump to: