Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BluRain
Apprentice Wizard

MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Empty
PostSubject: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 5:56 am

So to start this off, i really like MTGO...but when you're playing against someone who care more about their life point than attacking it gets really boring. today i came across one guy name "rcaburet"....with my common card of course Razz .....any creature i play, he gains 1 life point.. :x attacking him head on is good but gaining 1 life point for every creature i play is really annoying beside the LD. but anyway i brought his life point up to 48 Shocked yes really crazy! so what did i do in that position Sad i say to myself this is a sign for me to go sleep.. Sleep and declare myself the winner by default albino cuz he lost his connection! affraid
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 7:17 am

Hey blurain,

Well, first off you might have been playing against someone who was playing a non-pauper deck (uncommons and rares), which puts you at a disadvantage straight away. To make things fair you would have to play against other pauper decks.

Then, the next thing is dealing with a problem like that. You didn't mention which card he was using to gain him life for each creature that came into play. If it was a creature like essence warden or something similar then this is easy to deal with, if you have removal in your deck. Removal is any card that says 'destroy target creature' or deals damage to a creature or player.

When you play a bit more you'll start to notice that some colours are good for some tasks but not so good at other. Green for example is great for boosting your mana and has some large creatures for a lower casting cost than other colours but doesn't have many cards to deal with opponent creatures. Red on the other hand is great at removing opposing creatures but struggles to gain life or draw extra cards.

Here's a link to a page that explains some of the basic colour pie elements. click me

Hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
BluRain
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 8:03 am

essence warden = debtor's knells - hissing miasma - kami of ancient law - souls of the faultless study
Back to top Go down
timmyhill

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 pm

i have a pauper mbc deck that seems to be able to hold its own in extended, you just have to we quicker... and how many creatures are you playing? 28? thats a lot you should toss some kind of removel in you deck to deal with things like the warden
Back to top Go down
http://www.inventivewoodworks.com
BluRain
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:38 am

i have 23 creature, some of them are to help me bring out the land faster to bring out the big creature/lil creature and counter against artifact/enchanment Razz and for land 20 the rest are instant and sorcery Smile
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 am

Blurain, try using 22-23 land, and try to put cards in there for every turn. So, a 1 casting cost card, something like 4x 'Search for tomorrow' might work. Then some 2 casting cost cards (will want some creatures or removal in this slot). Then 3, and so on.. This way you should have something to play on every turn.
Back to top Go down
BluRain
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 7:53 am

i'll do that this week Very Happy
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 4:33 am

So for a decent mana curve lets give an example of roughly how many cards you want for each slot.

1 mana - 4-8 cards. (ideally 4 for your deck)
2 mana - 8-16 cards.
3 mana - 8-12 cards.
4 mana - 4-8 cards.
5 mana - 4 or less.

This is just to give you an idea where most of your mana should be spent. It's very advantagious to be able to play more than 1 spell per turn. If you have most of your cards in the 2-3 casting cost range then it's a lot more likely that you'll be able to do this early. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wildman4420
Captain
Captain
wildman4420

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 9:06 am

As Andy says thats about the ideal soloution having the right cards and the mana to play them also don't forget u can play some spells very cheaply via either suspending them ( for example errant ephemeron, giant dust moth, durkwood baloth,ivory giant, knight of the sursi ,shade of trokiar, keldon halbardiers and some others all are capable of being paid for with less than their normal casting cost by suspending them for a few turns (this also gives u a suspended threat ( no one likes the thought of nasty creaures arriving later in the game when who knows what the board position will be like Very Happy . Also you can play cards for their " madness" cost by discarding them either as result of your opponent playing a card that forces you to ( ravenous rats for example) or having a fulll hand of cards and discarding a card ( in most cases the madness cost is less than the cards normal casting cost .You can check your card distribution from the stats button in the deck builder this shows how many cards you have at each casting cost .
Anyway good luck in your deck building.
Regards
Harry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....   MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTGO - Common vs Rare/Common/Uncommon/etc etc....
Page 1 of 1