Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

Tribal Classic rule discussion

Go down 
+3
Mr Moto
andymc1
Mooncalf
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mooncalf
Master Sorcerer
Mooncalf

Tribal Classic rule discussion Empty
PostSubject: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 am

"unless someone beats me to it."

That sounded like an open invitation so here we go:

TRIBAL CLASSIC LEAGUE RULES (discussion)

General Rules:

Players can only play each other twice. Matches should be setup as best 2/3 and set for an unlimited time. Please make sure your deck only uses commons. The results can be reported to Wildman4420, Andymc1 or myself Timmyhill either in game or here in a pm. Please report results as follows: "I beat player B 2-1".

Tribal Classic rules:

Your deck must be legal in the mtgo format Tribal Classic, which means:
-20 creatures minimum that share a creature type (i think shapeshifters count but you can check using the mtgo filter whether your deck is legal)
-no sideboard

Proposed banlist:

-Cranial Plating
-Slivers (discussion! are they too strong?)

Did i forget anything? What do you guys think about banning slivers (i heard several people about this).
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 6:41 am

Looks good to me mate. Unless they changed something recently shapshifters do count towards which ever type you choose. cranial plating banned, yeah i agree with that.

Slivers. In my opinion slivers should be banned, or even better, restricted. Let me attempt to explain why I think this. If you've entered a classic event lately, either a contructed queue or a player run event you will have probably come across GW slivers. With the addition of muscle sliver, slivers have become very strong, even in such an open format as classic. A format in which there is no limit on the number of anti-creature counter measures, as well as a sideboard (something which isn't allowed in tribal) for extra anti-creature stuff. As far as I know there isn't any other tribe in classic pauper, or std or ext that i can think of which is used regularly with sucess.

So, they are powerful... why should that mean they get banned? I hear you ask. If slivers are not banned I will be playing them. I will expect others to be playing them and sliver vs sliver matches really arn't all that fun. Also, If i'm using slivers and I beat someone who is using a genuinely good deck, just with much less powerful cards I WILL feel bad about it. Without slivers in the league I think it will be a much more enjoyable experience and decks are more likely to be seperated by how they are built, not just which tribe was chosen.

The reason I think they should be restricted but not banned is because there are some slivers which can be used (such as gemhide sliver) in their own right, on their own. So i propose that they be restricted to 8 per deck.

That's my thoughts on slivers, what does everyone else think?
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
Mr Moto
Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 8:03 am

Hi Guild.
Here's my two cents: I think the purpose of this tourney hopefully should be fun AND competitive Magic. To my joy it ended with tribal, though I'm sure the other format could be fun, and will be used in a future format.
Concerning Slivers. They are very strong as Andy mentioned, and to me that means that most of the other tribes won't be used, which takes the fun out of it. Variety is good.
Except in marriages (I'm told Smile
Therefore to me it means that we either restrict or ban them. Andy mentions max 8 slivers per deck (not included changelings I'm sure Smile
Another more traditionel way would be a maximum of one of each. Or a total ban.
I vote for Andy's proposal though, to not make too many different suggestions - max 8 slivers per deck. That way there's still a small place for them. Although a total ban would be easier for most people to remember, perhaps.
Common Sense FTW!
Moto
Ps. I guess there will be an entryfee again, right? 1 Ticket.
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Glad someone agrees Smile

Yeah it's 1 ticket entry like last time. I'll start collecting tickets tonight and add another thread listing those who have paid.
Back to top Go down
DaBlitz
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: Slivers are tough but   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:06 pm

What I am really tired of seeing this past couple weeks are storm decks soooo boring. I would like to suggest banning Storm anything Smile
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:46 pm

I wouldn't really be in favour of banning storm. Storm is a key part of pauper meta and there are plenty of ways to wreck it. Hindering touch, discard, flagbearers and prismatic strands are just a few things that will end storms hope of winning. Also, tribal is far from the ideal setting for storm decks to flourish due to the minimum of 20 creatures of 1 type rule which makes deck space for storm cards and storm enablers more restricted. I'm not saying you won't see ANY storm, but i highly doubt you will see any decent decks using storm.
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Maybe it would be possible to have a handicap system whereby anyone playing slivers suffered a half points penalty, while someone else playing jellyfish would get double points? You'd need to rank each tribe, but then the bad tribes become more attractive.
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 3:33 pm

Feel free to post a list of all the tribes on mtgo here and your recomendations on what each should be ranked Very Happy
I like the way that idea would get people to play more unusual tribes but i think it'd take a lot of thinking and discussion to get close to having something solid which we could use. With only 3 and a bit days left i think we should just stick what we have so far so people can get down to deckbuilding.
Back to top Go down
keymaker_BR
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:03 pm

i really like the tribal format and i think slivers must be banned to give place for others tribes playing.
that way we going to have more fun and some creative deck builds.
see you all later.
afro
Back to top Go down
Jimmus
Master Wizard
Jimmus

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Totally agree with banning slivers! You can auto-pilot a sliver deck to victory too easily.

Another reason i am in favor for the ban is because the deck i am working on will be fun for me to play, but could never compete with a sliver deck lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.jimeyre.info
Mooncalf
Master Sorcerer
Mooncalf

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 9:19 am

The rating of tribe strength seems waaay to much hassle to me.

Restricting slivers to max 8 will do just fine i think.
Back to top Go down
Mooncalf
Master Sorcerer
Mooncalf

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:06 am

an orc just confirmed, shapeshifters do not count for the tribal count in the tribal classic format.

unless you run a shapeshifter deck ofcourse

this is not an error this is how its supposed to be
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 am

yeah originally (the last time i played tribal) changlings did make up your creature of one type. Looks like they DID change it recently after all Smile
Back to top Go down
Mooncalf
Master Sorcerer
Mooncalf

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 11:29 am

oh and another thing:

if a creature has 3 creature types, like riftwatcher (bird rebel soldier), the 3rd creature type (soldier in this case) does not count either (current bug).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tribal Classic rule discussion   Tribal Classic rule discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tribal Classic rule discussion
Page 1 of 1