Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

Share | 

Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Belphegor
Young Wizard

PostSubject: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:54 pm

I've been scouring the gatherling but am having some difficulties maybe i can get some answers here. What i'm looking for, and my number one priority, is a deck that can Nazi Stomp storm control's face off. I hate that deck, i hate it, i hate it, i hate it, i won't even play against it anymore i hate it so much. last night i was doing well and came across cheese dick Envy playing it and didn't even bother finishing the game. I would like to be able to top 8 with this deck but as long as it owns storm control i don't even care. The other part of what i'm looking for is a multiple format deck, because of my crazy work schedule i never really know which event i can play in from week to week so i'm a bit scattered. And my inability to make the same event every week on the same night makes my participation limited. If i only have one good deck. So, if i had a Standard deck that beat storm it could pretty much play in the most events possible. But just so long as it beats storm then idc.. Negative suggested MBC or MBC/U. I looked at MBC but because gatherling deck search is disabled i couldn't find MBC/U. what other suggestions do you guys have? and can you link your ideas?

Ohh and as a side note what do you guys think of BW Control ... i'd like to be able to throw some Holy Lights in there and some benevolent Unicorns, but those are not standard format, are there any cards very simmilar to those that are standard? I'll have $x shrivel and lose teh Iona's judgement for the storm goblins but is there a standard card that could be put in this deck to stop grapeshot storm? maybe a black or white counterspell? something ? anything?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Hey. Storm can be a pain, and that particular player makes it all the worse. You're not going to find a standard deck that is competitive in classic. Best thing to do is just have a classic deck you play in classic that requires little updating, since classic is eternal. Then just have a cheap standard deck ready.

If you want to beat storm attack their hand. They are very counter resistant, so MBC is your safest bet. I've been playing MBCu in classic personally. It's very good and it's a deck I've been playing a long time. Here is my list:

http://pdcmagic.com/gatherling/deck.php?mode=view&id=13132

It deserves some editing. It's outdated, but it's solid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 am

First of all, you're asking the right questions. If you want to defeat storm then you do need to find the deck that can do that and not just stick to what you're familiar with. You've already shown you are a better player than all the noobs who just give up. A great place to find recent decklists is the wizards decks of the week feature, here: features.
And for this week theres a pauper teachings decklist that placed 3rd (also look at the 8th place deck): pauper decks for 22 July 2010

Did you spot there were no storm decks in the top 8? If you look here you see there were 6 entered out of the 73 who played.

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Belphegor
Young Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks JMason that's some really nice info, just added it to my favorites . I just Finished building something i think might work. It's mostly Zen Block (so it will be standard for a while, not just till Oct. and Duress will be in M11, and it's cheap too. the cards total like 3.95, and to me it just looks sexy as hell. However i need more experienced players to look at it and give me their opinion as well. i'm posting it here and i'll link the cards so if anyone isnt familer with them then they can just click the name.

Blue Black Bruiser deck, not sure on a name yet, maybe "Controlling Storm" if it works out.

Creatures (14)

2 Crypt Ripper
4 Windrider Eel
4 Enclave Elite
4 Cadaver Imp

Spells (22)

4 Deprive
4 Cancel
2 Last Kiss
4 Duress
4 Shrivel <--- Just say no to 1/1 Goblins jocolor
4 Mysteries of the Deep

Lands (24)

7 Swamp
7 Island
3 Halimar Depths
3 Bojuka Bog
4 Evolving Wilds

Sideboard (15)

4 Tomb Hex
4 Disfigure
3 Hideous End
2 Crypt Ripper
2 Last Kiss

Last edited by Belphegor on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Belphegor,

As necro said, the best way to disrupt a storm deck would be to attack their hand . If you can do this effectively with the deck you create then storm matches, especially after boarding, will be matchups you may not mind at all. Black is undoubtedly the only colour to achieve this. However, there are other ways of beating storm without the use of black.

You mentioned you liked playing white decks and you also mentioned holy light. If the deck you are up against is using empty the warrens too, then this is a great card to have in your sideboard in a white deck. If they are not using warrens and using grapeshot alone, then this makes your job easier, you only have one thing to worry about, if you can get past that the match should be a breeze. Try Prismatic Strands as they cast a killer salvo of grapeshot. Maybe the inclusion of life-gain will buy you more turns to find those strands too.

Blue has ways of dealing with both the killer two pauper storm cards too. If they play warrens then the card you need is Echoing Truth. A well timed Truth (as they play goblin war strike) can leave your opponent feeling a little sick and yourself at peace as you slap down with little to no resistance. If you have counters in your deck try to disrupt their mana-gaining spells if you feel they are scraping through on mana. Otherwise use them to disrupt their deck-digging cards as they try to find the key components they need. If all else fails and you decide you REALLY want to beat storm and feel that your deck can get to 4 mana fast enough consistently enough then include Hindering Touch into your sideboard.

Red also has cards which could help when you face storm. Martyr of Ashes is the tried and tested way of dealing with those pesky goblins and you also have Seismic Shudder now too. Also, if you feel trying to out-pace them is a losing battle you could include some land destruction into your sideboard. Cards like Molten Rain may help rid you of some of those sac lands with the added bonus of bringing you closer to victory. Another card which could help slow their search for that golden hand would be Pyroblast.

If you find yourself playing mono green then you might think you have no chance at all and you might be right. But if you include some cards into your sideboard which could help buy enough time for your beaters to do their work you could find yourself with another surprising victory. Green can do lifegain and land destruction quite well, and as i said before both of these will buy you time against a grapeshot deck. Mwonvuli Acid-Moss and Thermokarst are the two best options for land destruction in green imo, but there are others for you to look at. For pure life-gain i like Nourish. As far as i know Green can't do what the other colours can do to get rid of the Warren's goblins instantly but it does have Sandstorm, which may help if they miss their Goblin War-Strike or are simply not playing it, as may be the case.

I hope this helps when you build your deck and now you know as least a few cards, whatever colours you are playing with, that can make playing against storm not a complete rout every time.

Last edited by andymc1 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://commonsense.forum.st
Belphegor
Young Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Awesome info ty. New name .... "Calm Disorder" closest antonym to Storm Control as i could come up with .... look for it in a t8 near you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe   

Back to top Go down

Cause i'm a winner! ..... maybe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Common Sense :: The Clan Hall :: General-
Jump to: