Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

AltPDC is now running a league!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NecroSavant543
Master Wizard

AltPDC is now running a league! Empty
PostSubject: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 2:09 am

Hello Clannies!

I'm here to enlist help on a new venture of mine. AltPDC is going through some radical changes, and I've decided to incorporate a league into AltPDC. For more info changes in AltPDC check out this thread: http://forums.pdcmagic.com/viewtopic.php?t=4602&highlight=

I need someone who knows a lot about leagues to be AltPDC's league organizer. I know JMason individualy manages our clan's league, but perhaps someone with experience playing in it would like to be the AltPDC league organizer.

The job would entail managing league registration, creating and maintaining a league scoreboard, creating and updated threads with information about the league and it's protocols, and all the other great things that go into a league.

This league is unique in that it will run for half a year. The format of the this league is also Pauper EDH. I'm really hoping someone will help me out with this, because there's no way I can manage both parts of AltPDC on my own.

Thanks JMason and Wildman for reading this!
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2010 3:33 am

This all sounds very good. I read your Altpdc thread and that also sounds fun, I love the gunslinging idea. I will be happy to advise anyone brave enough to take on the management of the league. Note that the processes I use in the clan league are evolved from some that TimmyHill created, and are still very manual. I have a long term goal to create an application to manage score reporting and league tables, but that is still some way off.
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:25 am

You asked for my advice on starting a commander league and these are some of the issues that I would want to see solved before you begin.

1) The scoring system. The basic goal should be that you are better off from playing than not playing, so even the last placed player gets points. In principle you should get more points for better achievements, so for example points for finishing places in 4 player games could be 4-3-2-1 and for 3 player games 3-2-1. You need to also cater for multiple players losing at the same time, i.e. if 4 players lose at the same time then points might be 1-1-1-1, or if 2 lost together 4-2-2-1. You might like to award points for different reasons, for instance knocking a player out by commander damage, for more ideas look at the 'embracing the chaos' column on starcitygames.

2) Limits. You want to limit the ability to score in some way to prevent small groups simply playing more times, and outscoring everyone else. I'd suggest limiting each person to one scoring game each week against any other player. You may also want to limit the number of scoring games in each week, say to 5. This could be a problem if it prevents some people from playing all their games, so you could introduce the idea of tiebreaker games. What this means is that if a player has used up all their scoring games they can still play more games counting toward tie breaker points. That way they are helping others to get their scoring points for the week.

3) Collusion. Commander is free for all, but players may collude in play and in supportive deckbuilding. If you apply limits then the effect is lessened. What if anything would you do about teams?

4) Reporting. How are you going to get accurate and honest reporting? Do you want to observe games? Do you want to restrict playing times so that you can supervise. It's easier for multiplay when everyone knows that they have to play during a certain time period, and makes it into more of a party event. Fixed times could penalise some timezones: do you want different euro/asia/usa party times? Get some assistants to help with observing and scoring.

5) Rewards. You might need to have more than entry into the winners event to attract players. Do you need a sponsor?

6) Legality. A lot has already been written about potential rare commanders, and the consensus seems to be to allow any under a dollar. Are there any other cards you would ban? Uncommons are particularly hard to monitor for legality. Watch out for Kird Apes etc. What penalties are there for illegal decks?

7) Recruiting. Don't wait for people to just turn up. Get a good recruiter like andymc1 on your side. Publish everywhere, clan forum, pdcmagic, wizards forums, puremtgo etc.

I think if you can thrash out all the details and get a coherent rulebook posted then you could be onto a winning event. There are definitely a number of players who want to do this.
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 am

p.s. I'd also look at this site and decide if iit could be adapted to suit: http://sites.google.com/site/pdcleague3/
Back to top Go down
DuxDucis
Apprentice Wizard
DuxDucis

PostSubject: Re: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Good discussion and points raised here.

I'm still plugging away and hopefully will have a draft Master Document up soon.

JMason I'm putting a few questions together for you...whats the best way to get a hold of you?

Cheers,

Andrew
(DuxDucis)
Back to top Go down
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 2:40 am

Hi there. You can pm me here as I'll always check in frequently.
I'm on mtgo usually between 9pm - 1am uk time (8pm-12pm utc).
Back to top Go down
DuxDucis
Apprentice Wizard
DuxDucis

PostSubject: Draft of League Master Document   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Here is the work I've done so far:

PDC Commander League Master Document

I've got a lot of formatting and such to complete, however I'm waiting until the end.

I'm going to finish a few things at home tonight but I just wanted to show off what I've worked on so far.

Feel free to criticize or poke holes in it. I've got thick skin so don't worry about hurting my feelings. Just remember it is a rough draft Surprised

Also Necrosavant I noticed the League section opened at pdcmagic.com Thanks!

Cheers,

Andrew
(DuxDucis)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AltPDC is now running a league!   AltPDC is now running a league! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AltPDC is now running a league!
Page 1 of 1