Common Sense
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Common Sense

Clan Forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Clan Pages
 About Common Sense
 How to Join
 Trophy Hall
League Season 4
Articles
Play Testing
Find play testers and see the play test guantlet here

Let's make the next league a big one!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
andymc1
Admin
Admin

Let's make the next league a big one! Empty
PostSubject: Let's make the next league a big one!   Let's make the next league a big one! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 6:46 am

I've been thinking about the next league and clan in general and what we can do to increase the number of active clan and league members. So here are my sugguestions...

1. First thing's first. We need to get the poll up to decide the next format as soon as possible, so that we can start telling people about the league and referring them to that poll so that they can vote and begin thinking about the league.

2. Every clan member(especially the hardcore members) should spend some time recruiting new members. The easiest way to do this is by speaking to the people they play pauper games with, in the casual room. During a game ask them if they are in a clan, let them know about ours and the leagues we run and pass them a link to this forum, inviting them to post something in the 'new players' section if they wish to join(unless you are a captain of the clan, in which case they can be invited immediately).

3. This part is concerning the cs chat channel. In my experience this will not happen unless joining the channel is made compulsory and enforced by the senior members of the clan. To my mind it is not unreasonable, after the work the leaders of the clan are putting in to make something we can all enjoy, to expect some small effort from each member. Joining the cs channel will make it much easier for league players from the otherwise seperate sections to find each other and i feel it will remind people that they are part of the clan and may decrease the number of 'sleepers' within the clan. If this does go ahead and is made compulsory then it will be each member's responsibilty to remind those not in the channel to join it when they get chance. A simple /join cs in a pm to them should do.

4. I'm was never huge on the idea of making 1 ticket donations to play in the league voluntary. What you gain from the very few players joining that could not afford/would not be willing to pay the one ticket fee, you lose in the bad feeling lopsided entry fees could bring. For example, if someone were to win the league and the top prize several times while paying nothing to enter, personally, I would feel that they wern't exactly a top bloke. This is just one scenario where bad feelings could come about because of it. I can think of several more and I'm sure there are more still. I think it is better when everyone pays the same, 1 ticket isn't very much for a month and a half of play in the league with a good chance of at least getting your ticket back in prizes.

This is all up for debate i look forward to discussing any issues you have with my suggestions or any sugguestions you have yourself.

andy
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let's make the next league a big one!   Let's make the next league a big one! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 1:29 pm

Andy, welcome back.
I've read your comments, and I'll give you my views on each.

1. You will see on the left of this screen there's now a link to the poll. Everyone vote now! Don't forget league 2.6 has a week left to run, so there's time to get matches in if you want to join.

2. I want to increase member numbers, so long as they are active. We continue to attract new members who rapidly go dormant. Often new players are still in a state of discovery and haven't settled into their favourite format yet. The new players you see still playing pauper games after 1 or 2 weeks are the ones we would like to have.

3. Yes, always use the CS channel, I do and I like it Smile One day the client will auto-open your channels I hope.

4. Waiving the entry fee was only one change I made to try to raise participation. It has not worked and I'm totally happy to go back to the old arrangement starting with round 2.7.

To conclude, I also call on all the members to do just two things for the clan you joined - use the CS channel and join the league, I promise you it will repay the small effort it takes.
JM
Back to top Go down
andymc1
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let's make the next league a big one!   Let's make the next league a big one! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 6:45 am

Thanks for the reply john. Well my 5th point, which at the last second i decided not to include in this post due to it not being 100% necessary and i didn't want to seem too ruthless was that captains should kick the deadwood from their clans when they need room for new players. Deadwood means they never visit the forum, are never or hardly ever online, don't socialize with others in the clan when they are online and have never shown any interest in clan activities. There are more members than we'd like that fit this description in our clan and I don't think it would be a great loss for them or us if they wern't here. If they do care about being in the clan and planned to get involved in future then they will surely notice that they've been kicked and contact someone in the clan to be reinvited in which case they should be welcomed back. The kicker captain could also leave the kickee a message so that they are aware of the situation and know who to contact should they wish to rejoin to fold.

andy
Back to top Go down
https://commonsense.forum.st
JMason
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Let's make the next league a big one!   Let's make the next league a big one! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 am

Andy
You'll find that a policy of kicking out deadwood has already been going on, it's just that Wildman has kept quiet on the subject. Mailshots went out during 2009 asking for more participation from the members, and much has been written here, so we figure anyone still not active has had their chances. When pauper became an officially supported format we received a lot of new recruits, and on maybe half a dozen occasions someone was kicked out of common sense 1 to make room. Until clan size is made unlimited this is always going to be necessary. There's no shame attached to being inactive either, we understand that time constraints and real life will create long absences from the game, and everyone is welcome to reapply.

I have also started to conduct mini-interview style chats with prospects, to try and judge their interest level, and if I find they're undecided then I don't offer an invite on the spot. What I do is make a note of the name and return to them days later to see if things have changed.

On a happier note, I have been promoting the CS channel and the league 2.7 poll very actively this week, and I'm encouraged by the positive responses already. I even discovered that ecupiratefan69 has been locked out of the forum and was desperately trying to get someone to help him, which I was happy to be able to do, and I look forward to playing him in the league.
jm
Back to top Go down
Dokho
Apprentice Wizard

PostSubject: re:   Let's make the next league a big one! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm eagerly waiting for the format to be announced to sign up for the league, the 1 ticket entry fee is pretty fair and adds some "flavour" to the league Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's make the next league a big one!   Let's make the next league a big one! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's make the next league a big one!
Page 1 of 1